an ever-evolving foray into things that are important and impersonal enough to share

Saturday, February 2, 2008

pho (tang lung street, causeway bay)

I'm always looking for a decent bowl, and for being so near to Vietnam I'm always disappointed with the quality in HK. Nha Trang, near the bottom of the escalator in central is probably the first example that comes to mind of a terrible pho place. Unlike that disgrace, Pho on Tang Lung delivers size and quantity.

I tried the rare beef and brisket, super-sized for $6 (you can go ultra-large for an additional $13, someone please do this and tell me about it). The soup didn't blow my mind; it seemed to retain some Cantonese/won ton soup flavor actually, but the bowl is very full and they give you the most noodles I've ever seen in a bowl of pho. I was so excited by how cheap the menu was that, even though I was ordering for just myself, I had to get the spring rolls. I thought that spring rolls usually came in clear wrapping, but these were the deep-fried kind that you wrap in lettuce. Still good though, they were very hot and tasted especially fresh for fried foods.

It's immensely satisfying, and is generally a very decent looking place.
I didn't have to wait when I went in since it was about 2:30, but it's super busy during lunch and after 6. They're even understanding if you forget to take your wallet out of your other pants and bring it with you. For the time being, "Pho" gets the award for the most passable bowl I know in HK. The soup is the only thing that holds the place back. So the search goes on....

3.5 stars of 5







pho vietnamese restaurant

g/f circle tower

28 tang lung street

causeway bay

about $30/bowl


View Larger Map

No comments: