an ever-evolving foray into things that are important and impersonal enough to share

Monday, February 4, 2008

captain's bar (central, mand-o)

I know that I'm supposed to be writing about restaurants, but this bar serves food... I think. I'm pretty sure that this is the only bar in town in which you can smoke like French people in Malibu houses. You would get less second-hand smoke sucking exhaust from a double-decker bus. That said, it's an interesting and probably overpriced beer joint. They only have Carlsberg and Guinness on tap, which is pretty pitiful, but they have fantastic peanuts and chips. Captain's Bar, by far has the best snacks around; wasabi peanuts, salted peanuts and blue chips. They also serve tap beers in sweet silver mugs, which are way bigger than pints, and way prettier. Awesome.

Last weekend I tried to start smoking casually again. I've tried a few times but I'm not very good at it. Cigarettes are one thing, I can handle being around those puffs alright, but at Captain's, every third person is sucking down a stogie. It really felt like the first times I tried smoking up in school, when we'd roll the windows up and turn off the fan so that the car would become a parked cloud playing "Could You Be Loved" on repeat. Yeah, it was kind of like that.

2 of 5 stars for an after banker joint, top marks for cancer-inducing scenes.

Cheesy photo from the Mand-o website:


captain's bar

5 connaught rd

mandarin oriental

2522 0111

No comments: