an ever-evolving foray into things that are important and impersonal enough to share

Thursday, January 31, 2008

rbt (causeway bay, other locations)

DISCLAIMER: This entry covers the same amount of material that you'd see in a write up on Pinkberry or In-N-Out. Nonetheless here it is.

It's hardly necessary to write home about a tea shop that lacks any of the mystery or intimidation that I normally try to dissolve, but on this occasion I need to show you that I'm serious about this blog thing. The menu here is straightforward with emphasis on the teas and the bubble teas. Although they offer fried noodles or toast with gnutella, the meal-food isn't very remarkable here. I think they once served Taiwanese desserts, but on my last two visits I wasn't able to find them on the menu. The milk tea here is great, as are most of the fruity drinks they serve; it's the best I've had in HK for Taiwanese drinks.

But really, my favorite thing about this spot (particularly the Causeway Bay/Sogo location) is the glass wall overlooking the street between Sogo and JP Cinema. It's fun just to chill out, drink some milk tea and look at people. This is really one of the things that I miss most about LA; because it's always sunny, it's always fun sitting outside a coffee shop and watching people walk by. You can't do that in too many places in HK. I haven't yet seen a restaurant seat people on the sidewalk in this SAR, but that's because these sidewalks are meant for walking; who would want to eat on a sidewalk in HK anyways? So to me, RBT is the best people watching in the city. You could argue that the LKF bars have plenty of outside seating on walking-only streets too, but that scene gets old faster than I do. The beautiful thing in Causeway is that it feels more local and less like a trading floor in IFC. Well, actually take that back, all of Hong Kong feels like a trading floor.

3 of 5 overall, drinks are worth 4 stars, but food is minus 1




rbt

2/f hong kong mansion

yee wo and great george

causeway bay

2577 2633

about $20/drink

No comments: