an ever-evolving foray into things that are important and impersonal enough to share

Thursday, February 28, 2008

pepperoni's (soho)

The first two things on my food-search agenda are good pho and good burgers. I got lucky someday last week, I'm not sure which day it was since we went out more than half the nights, but anyways, it was at a mediocre pizza place.

A couple of my friends had been here before, probably because it's super convenient, not because it's good. It's right on the corner of Staunton and Escalator (if that's not the street's name, it should be) so its people watching is first-rate; which is good because the pizza isn't really. The first bad sign was that the pizzas came out mere minutes after the appetizers and about 20 before the burger. Ok, I worked at a pizza joint once, it should take longer to bake a pizza than to put a piece of beef between two buns. When I looked over at the pizza makers, I saw that this was happening because the crusts were pre-baked and pre-sauced! Disgusting. The crust and the sauce tasted like it too; it reminded me of the Lunchables I ate when I was 10. I guess I'd say the burger was a nice surprise after that.

We asked the server if she'd forgotten my friend's order, and she reassured us that it was on its way. Since this burger cost only $120 ($20 more than the regular burger here) we didn't expect to be the size of a volleyball. At first we challenged our friend who ordered it to eat it all, and he tried, but there was no way it was happening. So we cut it up. I was really surprised--the sesame bun wasn't too airy, and it came with all the toppings, including Thousand Island dressing! It was the closest thing to In-N-Out that I'd had in months. It tasted like a good ol' American burger.

In between bites I'd just sit back and check out the people riding the escalator. We joked about it being like a conveyor-belt sushi restaurant, where instead of fish, you get to choose which person you'd like to eat raw, mmm...

Impossible to rate this place, some things are great, some are crap, umm: 3.25.




pepperoni's soho

8 staunton st

2525 1439

No comments: