an ever-evolving foray into things that are important and impersonal enough to share

Saturday, February 2, 2008

wing wah (wan chai)

For living in the dim sum capital of the world, we don't eat it nearly enough. I think it's because my friends and I are usually too tired and too lazy to get out before 1 on the weekends. On top of that it's also just not a good meal for less than three, which makes planning it a deal breaker for us foreigners.

Wing Wah is an old, and very traditional yum cha franchise. It's not fancy or nice looking, our table cloth didn't look clean, but it's cheap and it's full of real Hong Kong people. Old guys and families, and grandparents. That's part of the beauty of it here; a restaurant like this doesn't ever feel the need to change. Its people and its food retain a younger Hong Kong. It's not a time capsule, it's just that Hong Kong really hasn't changed.

There is definitely better dim sum to be found, but Wing Wah is definitely good enough for my tastes. Because reading Chinese is something I was born bad at, I can only go here with literate Chinese friends. One of my life's biggest challenges though has always been understanding the translated definitions of Chinese foods. Most illiterates like myself, I'm sure, only recognize the names of dishes by their sound. So when I read "pork barbecue cake," I have absolutely no idea what that might be. So look at the pictures.

3.5 of 5, food deserves better, but dirty table cloths aren't cool just because they're in time machines.






wing wah

89 hennessy road

wan chai

2527 7476

$50-$80 per person


No comments: