an ever-evolving foray into things that are important and impersonal enough to share

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

bombay dreams, central

I've always wondered if the Indian buffet was actually an Indian concept or if it was invented by imperialistic gluttons who proliferated them throughout the world like army bases. I've been to a good number in my day, most recently one in Wan Chai that was cheap (68HKD) but mediocre, but that's not why we're here...

Bombay Dreams has a fantastic buffet--the best I've seen in HK. The back room is so full with food that when you walk in to get a new plate it feels like a masala steam room (these don't exist yet, but they surely should one day). They have all the standard buffet dishes as well as some less common ones like fish curries to go with many small foods that I didn't even recognize. There was also a huge fruit plate and several kinds of Indian sweets. Granted, I'm not eating Indian food as frequently as Thai or Chinese here, the masala was the best of recent memory. For reference, it's better than at the Dickens curry buffet at Excelsior. Drink choices also included mango lassi, where most buffets only offer soda or juice. At one point, a guy made what looked like (pardon my ignorance) crepes and the servers passed them out to everyone--nice touch. And although they wouldn't let us sit at the window, it's a nice setting that doesn't feel tacky the way most buffets do.

We ate so much here that we took a taxi three blocks to my friend's apartment to pass out. We probably all looked like we'd taken a bullet in the spleen trying to save someone's life. It was worth it, but I did it for the glory.

4.5 of 5 for lunch buffets





bombay (wet) dreams

1/f 75-77 wyndham st central

2971 0001

100HKD lunch buffet

No comments: